Chittagong Medical University is one of the Government-owned public Medical universities and 38th public universities in Bangladesh.
The university is committed to higher education and keeps it in mind; the university is moving forward swiftly. The Chittagong Medical University was established in 2016 as per the Chittagong Medical University Act, 2016 (Act No 17 of 2016).
The university’s motto is “Illuminating the mind by education, research & care,” which will influence the students so that they can actively contribute to important national and global health issues.
Chittagong Medical University Background
The CMU aims to contribute to ongoing institutional and instructional changes in medical education to align with 21st-century professional skills weeded for the back-lagged society. The law of establishing the medical college was enacted in 2006.
Prof. Dr. Ismail Khan is the first vice-chancellor of the university recruited on May 13, 2017. The university was established in 2016 as per the Chittagong Medical University Act, 2016 (Act No 17 of 2016).
- Type: Government Medical University
- Established: 2016
- Chancellor: Abdul Hamid
- Vice-Chancellor: Md. Ismile Khan
- Address: Fauzdarhat Bokkhobaydi Hospital, Chittagong, Bangladesh
- Campus: Urban
- Affiliations: University Grants Commission
- Website: cmu.edu.bd
Chittagong Medical University is located at BITID Building, Faujdarhat, Salimpur Union, Chittagong, Bangladesh. It is beside the Dhaka-Chittagong highway. The Chittagong Metropolitan Bypass road is against the university.
CMU Academic Body
Chittagong Medical University has a large academic body and consists of a number of affiliated colleges and other institutions. The university has been providing education on several disciplines are given below.
CMU Govt. Affiliated College
- Chittagong Medical College
- Comilla Medical College
- Abdul Malek Ukil Medical College
- Cox’s Bazar Medical College
- Rangamati Medical College
- Chandpur Medical College
- Chittagong Medical College Dental Unit (Dental College)
- Chittagong Nursing College (Nursing College)
- Fauzdarhat Nursing College (Nursing College)
CMU Private Affiliated College
- Chittagong Maternal and Child Hospital Medical College
- BGC Trust Medical College
- Southern Medical College
- Marine City Medical College
- Chittagong International Medical College
- Eastern Medical College
- Central Medical College
- Mainamati Medical College
- Brahmanbaria Medical College
- Institute of Applied Health Science
- Chittagong International Dental College (Dental College)
- Art Nursing College (Private Nursing College)
- Shamsun Nahar Khan Nursing College (Private Nursing College)
- Holy Nursing College (Private Nursing College)
- Raushan Jahan Eastern Medical College & Hospital (Unani)
- Chittagong Institute of Medical Technology (Private Institute)
- United Care Institute of Medical Technology (Private Institute)
- Institute of Community Ophthalmology
As a public medical university, Chittagong Medical University arranged an admission program every year with a view to admitting students. The university is providing MBBS, BDS, Nursing, Unani, IMT, Optometry degrees to the students.
CMU Mission and Vision
- Expansion and development of higher education, research, and service standards and facilities in the medical field of the country as per Chittagong Medical University Act 2017.
- Provide standardized postgraduate studies in medicine, especially education in any subject of modern medical science and technology.
- To create a well-educated, skilled, and well-mannered human resource and a patriotic Health Professional Workforce with a combination of health education, research, and training in coordination with medical education from worldwide, especially considering Bangladesh’s context.
CMU Strategic Objectives
- Ensure quality education under international guidelines for medical, dental, nursing, and other medical support courses in all colleges or institutes affiliated with the University.
- To expand the facilities of research and training in the colleges or institutes affiliated with the university.
- Further expansion of medical higher education and improved quality of higher education management.
- To develop the construction and infrastructure of the university while maintaining all the modern and up-to-date facilities.
- Ensuring efficient implementation of the Annual Performance Agreement by the guidelines of the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and the rules of the University Grants Commission.
- Improving working procedures, work environment, and quality of service.
Ensuring transparent and sound financial management.
University is not only an educational academy but also the hub where hundreds of research take place that makes any institute an echelon for higher studies. Chittagong university and its affiliated colleges have already been spelled a number of researches and gained hundreds of awards nationally and internationally.
The university is under construction, so all the services and facilities are not available here. Still, the university is committed to providing all the modern and necessary facilities to make the students qualify for the 21st century. Being a new university, the information about the university is available so I couldn’t add enough info here. For details, you may visit cmu.edu.bd/.