Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University, briefly BSMMU, former name Institute of Postgraduate Medical Research (IPGMR), is the first medical university in Bangladesh. In 1998, the Institute of Postgraduate Medical Research (IPGMR) was turned into a medical university after the name of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
The university offers postgraduate degrees, not undergraduate, and focuses on healthcare, medical education, and research. The university has many departments equipped with modern technology for service, teaching, and research and delivering general and specialized clinical benefits as a tertiary-level healthcare center.
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University History
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University is a non-profit public higher education providing institution located in the urban setting of the capital city Dhaka. The university has been operating various categories of research on numerous disciplines and provides utmost services to the students.
The vision of the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University is to make the university “Center In Excellence” in the Southeast Asia region.
- Another Name: BSMMU
- Former name: Institute of Postgraduate Medical Research (IPGMR)
- Type: Public Medical University
- Established: 1965
- Chancellor: President of Bangladesh
- Vice-Chancellor: Md. Sharfuddin Ahmed
- Director: (Hospital) Brig. Gen. Dr. Md. Nazrul Islam Khan
- Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Campus: Shahbag, Dhaka city
- Website: bsmmu.edu.bd
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University is located at Shahbag, Dhaka, Bangladesh (23.7389°N 90.3948°E). The university is beside the Mymensingh road opposite the Bangladesh Civil Service Administration Academy.
BSMMU Academic Body
BSMMU complex has six main multistoried buildings: A, Block-B, Block-C, Block-D, Cabin Block, and F-Block.
BSMMU has a total of 8 faculty for their students. Faculties of BSMMU are:
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Surgery
- Faculty of Basic Science and Para Clinical Science
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Paediatrics
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Medical Technology
- Faculty of Preventive and Social Medicine
BSMMU Affiliated Institutions
There are many afflicted institutions of the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University. Here is a list of them.
- Armed Forces Medical Institute (AFMI), Dhaka.
- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical College, Faridpur.
- Bangladesh Institute of Child Health (BICH), Dhaka
- Bangladesh Institute of Health Sciences
- Bangladesh Institute of Research & Rehabilitation in Diabetes, Endocrine & Metabolic Disorders
- (BIRDEM Academy), Dhaka.
- Center for Medical Education (CME), Dhaka
- Chattagram Maa O Shishu Hospital Institute of Child Health, Agrabad, Chattogram
- Chattogram Medical College, Chattogram
- Comilla Medical College, Comilla
- Dhaka Dental College, Dhaka
- Dhaka Medical College, Dhaka
- Dinajpur Medical College, Dinajpur
- Enam Nursing College, Savar, Dhaka.
- Faridpur Medical College, Faridpur.
- Ibrahim Cardiac Hospital & Research Institute.
- Institute of Child & Mother Health (ICMH), Dhaka
- Institute of Child Health & Shishu Sasthya Foundation Hospital, Dhaka
- Institute of Community Ophthalmology, Chattogram
- Ispahani Islamia Eye Institute & Hospital , Dhaka
- Khulna Medical College, Khulna.
- Khwaja Yunus Ali Medical College, Sirajganj
- Kumudini Welfare Trust, Mirzapur, Tangail.
- Lions Eye Institute & Hospital, Dhaka
- Mymensingh Medical College, Mymensingh
- National Institute of Advanced Nursing Education & Research, Dhaka.
- National Heart Foundation Hospital & Research Institute, Dhaka
- National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases (NICVD), Dhaka
- National Institute of Cancer Research & Hospital, Dhaka
- National Institute of Diseases of the Chest and Hospital (NIDCH), Dhaka
- National Institute of Kidney Diseases & Urology (NIKDU), Dhaka
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), Dhaka
- National Institute of Neuro-Sciences & Hospital
- National Institute of Nuclear Medicine & Allied Science, Dhaka
- National Institute of Ophthalmology (NIO), Dhaka
- National Institute of Preventive and Social Medicine (NIPSOM), Dhaka
- National Institute of Traumatology & Orthopaedics Rehabilitation (NITOR), Dhaka
- National Institute of ENT, Tejgaon, Dhaka.
- Rajshahi Medical College, Rajshahi
- Rangpur Medical College, Rangpur
- Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College, Dhaka.
- Shaheed Ziaur Rahman Medical College, Bogura
- Sheikh Hasina National Institute Of Burn And Plastic Surgery
- Sher-e-Bangla Medical College, Barisal
- Sir Salimullah Medical College, Dhaka
- Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College, Sylhet
- TMSS Medical College, Bogura.
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University has been providing MD MSM. Phil, M.MEd, Diploma, MPH, MSN, BSc in Nursing courses right now, and thousands of students are taking quality education and efficiency on their courses.
Each of the years, BSMMU arranges admission tests of the programs. BSMMU admission circular has been published recently.
BSMMU Central Library
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University offers high-tech library services for the students and staff located at Block # A, which comprises 22,000 sft on the 4th and 5th floor.
Any student of the university can get access to the library. Digital Library of BSMMU has a notable collection of digital form books/journals of texts and references, audio-videos. The Digital Library also supports the full text of more than 40,000 electronic journals.
There is a total of 60 computers for browsing. The library also offers 26907 volumes of books, 5308 importance of Bound Journals on different topics. The library offers Membership Card, Photocopy / Scan Service, Liberation War Corner, Audio-Visual Section.
Also, the BSMMU offers Covit-19 related services, training, and tutorials. So this is one of the modern and teach-based universities.