Sylhet Agricultural University briefly SAU is a government-financed university in Bangladesh established on 2nd November 2006 under the Sylhet Agricultural University Act 2006 (Act No. 47) passed by the National Parliament on 3 October 2006.
SAU is the second-largest Agricultural University and the 27th public university in Bangladesh. Right now, three thousand students around the country as well as from overseas are taking quality and higher education from the university.
Sylhet Agricultural University is highly promised to offer no session jam in academic activities. SAU inaugurated its official operation in 2006. The university offers Undergraduate and Postgraduate (Master of Science & Doctoral) programs for the students.
Some passionate, potential, and enthusiastic individuals are working in different disciplines to produce first-rate competent applied agriculturists to meet the need for the country’s agricultural development.
Sylhet Agricultural University (SAU) Details
Sylhet Agricultural University mainly integrated on 2 December 2006 under the act “Sylhet Agricultural University Act 2006 (Act No. 47)” that Bangladesh National Parliament had passed unanimously.
Before establishing the university, Sylhet Government Veterinary College, shortly SGVC, was launched in 1965 and operated as the “School of Life Sciences” under the Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST) Sylhet.
Later, the Sylhet Government Veterinary College was replaced by the CAU University, and the Veterinary College was turned into the faculty of Veterinary, Animal, and Biomedical Sciences.
- Type: Public Agricultural University
- Established: 1995: Sylhet Government Veterinary College (SGVC)
2006: Sylhet Agricultural University
- Chancellor: President Abdul Hamid
- Vice-Chancellor: Professor Dr. Md. Matiar Rahman Howlader
- Academic staff: 203
- Administrative staff: 195
- Students: 2,000
- Location: Sylhet, Bangladesh
24.909221°N 91.901986°ECoordinates: 24.909221°N 91.901986°E
- Website: sau.ac.bd.
SAU Location & Area
Sylhet Agricultural University is in an important position in terms of location. The University campus is located 6 km east of the district town of Sylhet, beside the Alurtol road, Sylhet, Bangladesh. There are two campuses, 20.23 hectares (On-campus) and 4.97 hectares (Off-campus). The whole campus is covered with an eye-catching spectacular environment.
SAU consists of a large academic body, including Departments 47 (Forty-Seven) departments under 7 faculties and other institutions and offices.
- Faculty of Veterinary, Animal and Biomedical Sciences
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Fisheries
- Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Business Studies
- Faculty of Agricultural Engineering and Technology
- Faculty of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering
- Faculty of Postgraduate studies
Veterinary, Animal and Biomedical Sciences
- Anatomy and Histology
- Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Microbiology and Immunology
- Epidemiology and Public Health
- Animal Nutrition
- Livestock Production and Management
- Dairy Science
- Poultry Science
- Genetics and Animal Breeding
- Surgery and Theriogenology
- Agronomy and Haor Agriculture
- Soil Science
- Crop Botany and Tea Production Technology
- Genetics and Plant Breeding
- Plant Pathology and Seed Science
- Agricultural Extension Education
- Agroforestry and Environmental Science
- Agricultural Chemistry
- Basic Science and Language
- Aquatic Resource Management
- Coastal and Marine Fisheries
- Fish Health Management
- Fish Biology and Genetics
- Fisheries Technology and Quality Control
Agricultural Economics and Business Studies
- Agricultural Economics and Policy
- Rural Sociology and Development
- Agricultural Statistics
- Agricultural Marketing and Business Management
- Agricultural Finance and Banking
Agricultural Engineering and Technology
- Farm Power and Machinery
- Irrigation and Water Management
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Agricultural Construction and Environmental Engineering
- Food Engineering and Technology
Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering
- Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering
- Plant and Environmental Biotechnology
- Animal and Fish Biotechnology
- Pharmaceuticals and Industrial Biotechnology
- Microbial Biotechnology
- Biochemistry and Chemistry
Sylhet Agricultural University Admission
SAU offers Undergraduate and Postgraduate (Master of Science & Doctoral) to broaden students’ outlook and perspective. Thousands of students around the country take study here, and more like them are interested in studying here, and I have arranged admission information for them.
Sylhet Agricultural University contains a number of services & facilities. It offers the services to the students to make world-value graduates who can contribute to the improvement of Agricultural section. Here are some notable services provided by the university.
Health Care Centre, Guest House, Internet & Wifi services, Bank service, Central Mosque service, Sports & Culture, Gymnasium, cafeteria, and professor Mosleh Ahmed Chowdhury Veterinary Teaching Hospital.
The library is the most important and integrated part of a university where students have full access to read and acquire knowledge on different topics.
Sylhet Agricultural University also has a library with many books, magazines, journals, e-book, and IT tech services. There are 10525 books, more than 2310 journals, and others. The university library also offers TEEAL (The Essential Electronic Agricultural Library) service where Online Journals & e-books are available.
SAU Residential Hall
There are seven accommodation/ residential halls of the Sylhet Agricultural University; 5 are for males, and 2 for female students. Here all the names of the hall are enlisted.
- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Hall
- Abdus Samad Azad Hall
- Suhasini Das Hall
- Shah A. M. S. Kibria Hall
- Humayun Rashid Chowdhury Hall
- Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Mujib Hall
- Hazrat Shah Paran (R.) Hall
Sylhet Agricultural University conducts many types of research sharing with other universities and individually on different topics. A research center named Sylhet Agricultural University Research System (SAURES) has been playing a great contribution to the research sector to take the country’s agricultural sector to the stage that we desire.
SAU Research Centre:
- SAU Research System (SAURES)
- Journal SAU (JSAU)
- Others Research
I think this article seems to you great. I will try to make the article more informative and attractive for more information related to the SAU university visit the SAU wiki.